Per mile walked, pedestrians are around 11 times more likely to be killed in a road accident than car occupants, according to official figures.
In fact over 25,000 pedestrians were injured in road accidents in 2012 alone. Four hundred and twenty were killed and 24,798 were injured in some way – 5,559 of them seriously.
There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself and your family when you are out walking:
- Keep a close eye on any children walking with you
- Use pedestrian crossings and traffic islands if at all possible
- Try to avoid crossing between parked cars
- Do not wear headphones or use your mobile phone while crossing, as these reduce your ability to hear what is going on around you.
If you or a loved one is knocked over in an incident that was not your fault, you might be entitled to claim compensation. You might still be able to claim, even if you are partially at fault for the injury – although the compensation awarded may be reduced to take account of this.
So how do you go about making a claim? How much will it cost? What should you do first?
These are all good questions. You’ll find some of the answers here, by clicking on the links below. Or give us a call on 0800 0891 331 and one of our specialist personal injury lawyers will be happy to chat things through, free of charge and with no obligation.
- Should you accept an offer form your insurance company?
- What should you do first?
- What happens when you make a claim?
- What if you are claiming on behalf of someone else?
- How long will it take?
- How much will it cost?
- How much compensation will you get?
- Things your lawyer will need to know
- Should you make a claim?
Thompsons' specialist compensation claims solicitors are experienced in advising people who have been knocked down in a road traffic accident.
Scotland's leading personal injury lawyers, we recover over £1 million every week for our clients. We are rated number one by legal directory “Legal 500” and won both Firm of the Year at the Scottish Law Awards and Litigation Firm of the Year at the Law Awards of Scotland this year.
Give us a call today and we will discuss your options with you. We have a no win no fee package available if you decide you would like to take matters further.