The immediate concern in the aftermath of an accident is always to take stock of the situation, make sure that everyone is okay, that no one is at risk of further harm, and to arrange medical care for those who need it.
There is much to be done before you can begin the process of exchanging insurance details and taking photographs. Most pertinently, you should do the following:
- Stop your vehicle as soon as possible – it is illegal not to do so
- Switch off the engine
- Turn hazard lights on
- Check to see if you or anyone else involved has sustained an injury
- Call emergency services if anyone is hurt or if the road is blocked.
Furthermore, you should call the police immediately if any other driver involved has left the scene without leaving their details or if you believe any other driver to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Also, it is important to call the police if you believe that the accident may have been caused deliberately. Whatever the case, you should ensure that you inform the police within 24 hours of the accident occurring.
Once this has been dealt with, there are a few practical things you can do to ensure that any necessary future insurance or car accident claim is as straightforward as possible. Most importantly, you should get the details of the other person, or people, involved, including the:
- vehicle registration number
- name and address of the driver
- driver's insurance details
You should also note down:
- the name and address of any witnesses to the accident
- the name of the road where the incident took place
- the name of any police officers called and the station from where they attended
- the accident date and time.
If you can, you should also take photographs of your damaged car as well as photographs of any other vehicles involved, as well as of your injuries and the car accident scene in general.
You’ll find some more useful information by clicking on the links below.
Claim Compensation with Thompsons
If you have been involved in a car accident, even if you are unsure whether you would be able to claim compensation, contact our No Win No Fee lawyers today on 0800 0891 331 and we can investigate matters for you.
Remember - you only have three years from the date of the accident to make a compensation claim.