Common Types of Illnesses Contracted in Waste and Recycling

Claim Now

To ensure we give you the most tailored advice regarding your data breach enquiry, we kindly request that you complete our specialised enquiry form. You can access the form
by clicking on the following button: Click here

Click here to return to the previous window

Rubbish bag in the streetIf you work in the waste and recycling industry you not only have to deal with physical dangers – such as moving vehicles - that can result in injury or death, but you are also at serious risk of contracting work-related infections, caused by coming into contact with harmful substances.

Inevitably, there are many harmful substances that can be encountered by workers in this sector. Examples include:

  • Rotting food
  • Human and animal waste – from items such as nappies or litter trays
  • Compost
  • Needles and used clinical waste

Workers in the industry also suffer from other types of ill-health as a result of their working conditions. Top of the list are musculoskeletal disorders and back pain, often as a result of incorrect manual handling techniques.

Other common work-related illnesses include:

  • Contact dermatitis – from coming into contact with irritants, such as leaking battery acid, or even as a result of constant hand-washing
  • Occupational lung diseases – from breathing in airborne materials and dust
  • Noise-induced hearing loss – especially from glass collection or in materials recovery facilities
  • Skin cancer – working outdoors can lead to overexposure to direct sunlight

Identifying Hazards

The recycling and waste management industries are a significant source of respiratory and breathing hazards. This is true of almost every stage of the waste and recycling process, from collection and sorting at the doorstep and the drop-off points of depots to processing centres where a range of potentially hazardous activities take place – for example, composting and recycling – and landfill areas where dangerous airborne particles may proliferate.

This airborne dust together with toxic fumes and decomposing materials can present a danger to those in the industry. Contrary to what many believe, it is not only chemical pollutants that pose a problem; organic substances such as wood, leaves and vegetation can also pose a hazard in the form of airborne micro-organisms called bio-aerosols.

Common complications of these occupational hazards include asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Statistics

According to the Health and Safety Executive, between 2010/ and 2019/20, there were around 5,000 workers annually in the British waste sector who suffered an illness they believed was caused by or made worse by their job.

Around 75% of these suffered from musculoskeletal disorders or stress, depression, or anxiety, while the remaining 25% suffer from conditions such as skin or respiratory illnesses.

In the seven years prior to 2019/20, around 4.1% of waste and recycling workers suffered from work-related ill-health that was caused or made worse by their job; this is a higher rate than across all other industries (3.3%).

Contact Thompsons Today

As with all industries, employers and owners in the waste and recycling sector are legally obliged to provide their employees with as safe a working environment as possible. If they do not and you become ill or your existing illness becomes worse, then you might be entitled to claim compensation.

Worried about making a claim? Give us a call on 0800 0891331 and talk it through.

 

Injured through no fault of your own?
Call us on
To see how much you could claim
Compensation Specialists
Our offices and meeting places
Talk to Thompsons
Claim Now