At Thompson’s we would like to reassure all our clients that as far as possible we are operating as normal. The health and safety of our staff and clients is our primary concern during this outbreak and as such we are reviewing the situation on a regular basis and will be adapting our working practices following government guidelines. However, we have had to make some minor changes to how we are doing things.

Following Government guidelines, we have temporarily closed all of our offices and our staff are now all working from home using secure technologies to ensure they are able to continue to progress with existing and new cases as normal. All face to face meetings have been cancelled, however we are continuing to hold these meetings via phone and video calls. All the team are contactable on their direct dial numbers and email should you need to speak with your solicitor, please do not hesitate to talk to us about anything during this time.

We know these are uncertain and unsettling times for many of our clients, and the wider population, and things might look a little different for the foreseeable future. But our focus remains on our dedication, knowledge and strength that we provide to all our clients. We will continue to provide updates over the coming days and weeks in accordance with official guidelines and to keep everyone informed of the situation.

As always, for any concerns, advice and updates on your case; Talk to Thompsons.

Click Here to Visit our Covid 19 Information Hub

Click Here to Read More About Covid 19 & Thompsons

Motor Insurers Bureau

Thompsons Solicitors Scotland
Thompsons Solicitors Scotland

Being involved in a road accident is a terrible situation. But, if you are injured and subsequently discover that the driver at fault was not insured, fled the scene or cannot be traced, a difficult situation is only compounded; and for those who are seriously injured it is nothing short of a nightmare.

Fortunately, it is still possible for injured parties to be suitably compensated. A good personal injury solicitor can help clients ensure an appropriate level of compensation by submitting a claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB). Although it is possible for injured parties to represent themselves through the MIB claims process having specialist legal representation is always advisable.

The Motor Insurers Bureau

The MIB is a central fund that was created in 1946 to tackle the problem of negligent uninsured or untraced drivers. It is funded by all of the motor insurance companies in the UK and pays compensation to the victims of road traffic accidents caused by uninsured or untraced drivers. It is estimated that around £30 of every motor insurance premium in the UK goes towards funding the bureau.

The MIB also runs the Motor Insurance Database, which keeps a record of all insured vehicles in the UK. This in turn helps the police to identify vehicles that are not insured, so that action can be taken against their registered owners.

The MIB is integral to the rights of every law-abiding motorist: research suggests that each year uninsured and untraced drivers kill around 130 people and injure more than 26,000.

Before making a claim to the MIB

There are three important things to remember before making a claim to the MIB. They are as follows:

    • you should be able to identify the vehicle that was involved in the accident
    • an excess of £300 will also be deducted from claims made under the untraced driver scheme for property damage after 1st October 1999
    • there is a shorter time limit for MIB claims. This means that claims must be lodged within nine months of the accident

Specialist advice from Scotland's leading firm

If you or a member of your family has been hurt in a road traffic accident involving an uninsured driver, specialist advice is essential to achieve the best possible outcome.

Thompsons Solicitors are experts in all types and categories of road traffic accident claim. Our specialist lawyers will be happy to talk you through the process of making a compensation claim against an uninsured or untraced driver and to answer any questions or queries you may have.

Give us a call on 0800 0891 331 and we can discuss your options, free of charge and with no obligation.

Claim Now