Thompsons client Tracey Rae from Falkirk suffered long-term health problems after contracting food poisoning at a restaurant. Thompsons secured her compensation of £263,534.
Mrs Rae developed severe symptoms after eating a meal at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society in Leith.
Thompsons sued the catering company responsible after she developed post-infection irritable bowel syndrome.
Mrs Rae said "I'm in pain on a daily basis, I suffer from cramps and spasms. I suffer from fatigue and joint and muscle pain and I struggle to remember things.” The other side offered me a much lower sum but Thompson advised me that they could secure a much higher settlement.”
Mrs Rae was off work for six weeks and had to drop down to part-time hours due to her symptoms. She said the decision to sue had not been taken lightly,
"The main trigger was when I went to the gastroenterologist 18 months down the line still having terrible problems and was told this would be with me for life," she said. "Not only had I lost earnings from this, I was left with the pain and the embarrassing symptoms. I can’t thank Thompsons enough for their help throughout the process.”
Mrs Rae's lawyer, Stewart White from Thompsons, said: "The insurers in this case tried to offer Mrs Rae a very low sum hoping she would just accept that and go away. But with our expert help she was able to secure a package that was far far in excess of their offer. Mrs Rae is a thoroughly decent person and her response to the ongoing health problems is admirable.”
Read the full article online here : Food poisoning victim awarded £263,534 compensation - BBC News 19th January 2016