The City of Edinburgh Council has been fined £14,000 after exposing 10 of its employees to asbestos dust while cutting a hole through a door that had been removed from Castlebrae Community High School.
At the time of the door being cut there were 10 members of staff in the workshop, including 3 members of staff who were very close.
At the court hearing the council admitted four charges of breaching asbestos regulations. A health and safety investigation revealed that the council’s asbestos procedures said preparations for any building work must include an assessment of anything which might expose workers to asbestos. Worryingly the investigation also concluded that it was common practice for employees and contractors not to check the asbestos register prior to starting work. It was found that it was common practice to wait until they noticed anything suspicious after starting work.
The council were also fined £17,600 earlier this year after workers were exposed to asbestos whilst demolishing a wall at the same school premises.
If you would like more information about Asbestosis or any other disease including making a compensation claim, please call our No Win No Fee lawyers FREE on 0800 0891331 and speak to one of our specialist lawyers.