Giles School in Lincolnshire has been fined £19,000 after a pupil lost eight fingers during an art class.
The school admitted breaching health and safety laws and also failed to report the incident to the Health and Safety Executive. The 16 year old pupil was attempting to make a sculpture during the class, which was part of her course in art and design when the accident happened.
Her teacher told her to make a mould of her hands from clay but instead she dipped her hands in plaster. Within moments, the effects of the chemicals in the plaster started to cook her hands from the inside.
The Health and Safety Executive were not told of the accident until some 6 weeks later when the pupil’s plastic surgeon brought it to their attention.
The prosecution for the HSE stated that the accident could and should have been avoided if Health and Safety had been monitored properly.
The school has reassured the public that their health and safety procedures have been rigorously revised.