In this day and age I was angry and upset to hear that 3 cleaners working in Edinburgh had to be taken to hospital because of reactions and injuries they suffered to a chemical cleaner substance.
It has been reported that as the cleaners were cleaning toilets at the Imperial Docks in Leith one of them started to suffer respiratory problems and another started to be overwhelmed by fumes due to the chemical cleaner being used.
The workers had to be taken to the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh as a precautions to be checked out.
The chemical cleaner being used is likely to be classed as a substance hazardous to health by its nature and therefore the employers of the workers ought to have complied with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002.
The cleaners should never have been put in a position where their health could have been harmed by the chemical cleaner. The employers should have complied with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 200 and had they done so the cleaners would have been adequately protected from the substance.