PRESS RELEASE FROM THOMPSONS SOLICITORS - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A leading lawyer has called on authorities in Scotland to carry out a swift yet thorough investigation into the tragic death of an eight year-old girl from the deadly E.coli bacteria.
The child, from East Ayrshire, had been admitted to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow after contracting the bug. Last night NHS Ayrshire and Arran announced that the girl died of “complications from E. coli 0157 infection”.
A source has not yet to be identified, although officials do not believe this fatality to be part of a wider outbreak of the deadly infection.Partner at Thompsons Solicitors and expert in health and safety law, Patrick McGuire said:
“This tragic event brings into sharp focus the terrible potential of E. coli to claim lives and devastate families.
“At Thompsons we continue to see the massive health impacts E. coli has on sufferers of all ages, but it’s particularly dangerous to the elderly and the young.
“People in these age groups are particularly at risk, so it’s critically important that a rapid response to this tragedy takes place to quickly identify a source and ensure this isn’t part of an outbreak.
“This year has seen a number of cases of E.coli in Scotland, and just last week three people were confirmed as having contracted a potentially deadly strain of the bug after taking part in the Tough Mudder event in Dumfriesshire.
“We must remain vigilant against the ever-present threat of outbreaks of infectious diseases such as this.”
NOTES TO EDITORS:
• For further comments from Patrick McGuire, contact Tim Weir on 07974 262 997