Mrs Thom and I love a good curry although she likes her curry a lot spicier than me. She told me about a restaurant in Edinburgh where you could try to eat the “world’s hottest chilli”. However I am glad that we did not go to try this out as I saw in the news that 2 people had been taken to hospital after eating the chilli in the competition.
The Scottish Ambulance Service is now calling for a review into how the event is managed. Although members of the British Red Cross were on standby for anyone who needed help but an ambulance was called as two people had such a violent reaction.
An American exchange student said on the BBC Scotland news website “It was very painful and I felt like I was being chain sawed in the stomach with hot sauce on the chainsaw. I have learned my lesson and will never do it again and, in fact I will be cutting down on my spice intake full stop.” She came second in the competition!
Apparently the woman who came first ate the last bowl in four seconds.
The organiser of the event said that he regretted that emergency services had to be called out on a busy Saturday.