Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week was launched earlier this week. Figures from the Health and Safety Executive show that around 20 people lose their life every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and many more people suffer personal injury as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure can include, headaches, lethargy, nausea, flu like symptoms and dizziness. Symptoms that are more serious can include paralysis and brain damage.
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is aimed at reminding Landlords of their obligation to tenants. Landlords are reminded of their legal obligation to make sure that gas appliances in their properties are regularly checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. If Landlords do not fulfil their obligations then a tenant who suffers injury as a result maybe entitled to claim compensation for the injuries and losses they have sustained through no fault of their own. I know my friends at Thompsons are helping a number of people claim compensation who have sustained injury as a result of carbon monoxide exposure which was no fault of their own.
What scares me about Carbon monoxide is that it is a lethal colourless and odourless gas, which could be leaking from your gas appliances into your home completely undetected.
As well as taking the precaution of having my gas appliances checked regularly, I also follow the Health and Safety Executives advice and use a Carbon Monoxide alarm, which complies with the British Standard EN 50291.