Jane Esson was employed as a social care assistant with Edinburgh city council at a care home in the city. On the day of the accident she was preparing to serve breakfast to residents and was in the process of making tea. Mrs Esson had always used a cordless kettle at work but that kettle had been replaced by one with an electrical cord just the day before her accident. Having not been informed about the change in equipment Mrs Esson picked up the kettle but it's cord went taught and the boiling water tipped all over her right arm and right breast. She sustained terrible scalding injuries.
Mrs Esson was a member of the trade union UNISON and through them she asked Thompsons to fight her case. Initially liability was denied by the council's insurers and there was no response from the council’s solicitors. But after Thompsons stepped in and arranged a meeting a settlement was reached with full court expenses included.
Mrs Esson said the decision to pursue compensation for her injury was not something she embarked on lightly. She said “I was extremely nervous about taking out a claim against my employer when I was injured at work as I’ve never done anything like that before. I’ve always thought that things involving lawyers and the law were complicated and difficult to understand. Right from the beginning Thompsons put me at my ease and explained things to me in a really clear and simple way. My lawyer, Gail Millar, was really patient and kind and made sure that I was well informed all the way through the process. One of the things that impressed me most about Thompsons is that despite me moving from Edinburgh to the Isle of Mull during my case it presented no problem to them. It was obviously very difficult for me to get to Edinburgh from Mull to attend meetings but Gail was always there on my behalf and made sure I was kept fully up to date. When my case was settled I was extremely happy with the outcome and I have to say that Thompsons could not have been kinder or more professional.”
Mrs Jane Esson Isle of Mull