An Aberfeldy based contractors has been fined after seven of its workers suffered acute lead poisoning whilst at work, undertaking the renovation of a castle in Perthshire.
Blairish Restorations Limited was appointed as main contractors to carry out renovation work at Findynate House, between March and August 2008. Despite seeing a pre-construction report containing warnings about the possibility of the presence of lead in the paintwork, no risk assessment was undertaken. The workers had been sanding the paint down by hand, and were provided with no specialist protective clothing or masks to wear. The company was also criticised for poor housekeeping on the site, leading to further spread of the toxic material.
The presence of lead in paint is known to be highly toxic and can cause cancer. Mostly foreign workers suffered acute lead poisoning and two were admitted to hospital to undergo specialist treatment to help flush the toxic particles out of their systems.
The company were prosecuted for breaching Health and Safety regulations. The Perth Sheriff Court imposed a fine of £10,000 for their negligence, taking into consideration the financial state of the company. It is not yet known if there will be a claim for compensation from the workers affected.
If you have suffered acute lead poisoning whilst at work, contact our specialist lawyers who will assess your case and advise you on your first steps to receiving the compensation you deserve on a No Win No Fee basis.