- LLOYDS TSB REFUND DEVELOPMENT WELCOMEDSolicitor for the Scottish PiP victims and partner at Thompsons Solicitors, Patrick McGuire, welcomed Lloyds TSB’s decision to offer a refund to a woman who paid for her PiP implants operation on her credit card, but said that the women’s rights to redress go way beyond a refund. He urged victims not to miss out on the thousands in compensation they could be owed.
- LAWYER URGES VICTIMS TO COME FORWARD AND GET FREE ADVICE ON LEGAL RIGHTS- REPORT REVEALS “TOXIC TREND” IN REGULATION OF MEDICAL DEVICES
Speaking following evidence from Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish Independent Healthcare Association and private hospitals Spire Murrayfield and Nuffield Healthcare at today's Scottish Parliament Health Committee, spokeswoman for the PiP Implants Scotland campaign group and client with Transform, Jenny Brown said:
- INQUIRY MUST PROVIDE CLEAR AND DETAILED ANSWERS TO SCANDALThe suffering of the families and victims infected with Hepatitis C from NHS blood and blood products has been revealed in documents released by the Penrose Inquiry into the scandal.
Scottish victims of the PIP breast implants scandal have welcomed positive talks with Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon as helpful, but a step away from the full public inquiry they were demanding.
- PIP VICTIMS – WE NEED ANSWERS AND ACTION FROM HEALTH SECRETARYSpeaking ahead of today’s (Tuesday 21st February) meeting with Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon the Scottish victims of the PiP Implants scandal demanded answers and action on the issue, calling for the Cabinet Secretary to support calls for an independent, transparent and thorough Public Inquiry into the scandal.
Early findings from a study of the effects of “metal-on-metal” hip implants such as those being recalled by DePuy, suggest that the implants could increase the risk of cancer and genetic damage.
- VICTIM’S EXPERIENCE CLEAR MESSAGE TO OTHERS TO COME FORWARD, GET SCANNED AND GET JUSTICEScots PiP victim Jenny Brown told of her “rupture nightmare” today (Wednesday 15th February). The woman from Edinburgh is currently recovering from surgery to have her implants removed last week after a scan identified a rupture in her right side.
The BBC have reported that 2 Jersey hip replacement patients are to be examined as part of the product recall. Jersey health officials have advised that the DePuy metal on metal hope replacement was only used on younger patients who are under 65. They have stated that only 11 had been fitted in Jersey since 2009.
- MCGUIRE: VICTIMS HAVE LEGAL RIGHT TO DEMAND COMPENSATIONScottish PiP victims and their lawyer have joined with BAAPs to condemn the practice of “up-selling” surgery to PiP victims and bullying them into waiving their legal rights.