Thompsons was involved in helping this lady after she was exposed to carbon monoxide gas. The problem started when a new boiler was installed in her home near Falkirk last year. The initial installation went well but after getting some work done to her exterior walls of her house things started to go wrong. The firm employed to repair the walls had also damaged the gas flu that allows the boiler to properly function and this meant that all gasses were not being properly removed from the house.
The Health & Safety Executive are continuing with an initiative to send their Inspectors to visit building sites across the UK. The purpose of the initiative is to crack down on dangerous practices that go on within the construction industry.Each year, there are injuries and deaths which are completely avoidable. During 2008/09 53 workers lost their life on constructions sites and 11,264 were injured in the UK alone. The initiative will focus on refurbishment works or roofing work. Employers will have to be on guard as the Health & Safety Inspectors' visits will be unsolicited.
Dundee Leisure who run the pool where schoolboy Luke Hutton, died in September 2007 have been fiend £40,000 for Health and Safety breaches.The 7 year old drowned at the Olympia Leisure Centre in Dundee. His body was found in a section of the water which had been covered for the night, after he had been reported missing.
Construction company Laing O’Rourke and construction equipment supplier SGB Services have been fined £105,000 after an accident at Heathrow Airport in 2005 left one man dead and another seriously injured.The accident happened when a concrete slab collapsed despite an earlier recall of defective equipment.