At Thompson’s we would like to reassure all our clients that as far as possible we are operating as normal. The health and safety of our staff and clients is our primary concern during this outbreak and as such we are reviewing the situation on a regular basis and will be adapting our working practices following government guidelines. However, we have had to make some minor changes to how we are doing things.

Following Government guidelines, we have temporarily closed all of our offices and our staff are now all working from home using secure technologies to ensure they are able to continue to progress with existing and new cases as normal. All face to face meetings have been cancelled, however we are continuing to hold these meetings via phone and video calls. All the team are contactable on their direct dial numbers and email should you need to speak with your solicitor, please do not hesitate to talk to us about anything during this time.

We know these are uncertain and unsettling times for many of our clients, and the wider population, and things might look a little different for the foreseeable future. But our focus remains on our dedication, knowledge and strength that we provide to all our clients. We will continue to provide updates over the coming days and weeks in accordance with official guidelines and to keep everyone informed of the situation.

As always, for any concerns, advice and updates on your case; Talk to Thompsons.

Click Here to Visit our Covid 19 Information Hub

Click Here to Read More About Covid 19 & Thompsons

Health and Safety News

A highland haulage firm have been banned from operating for three weeks after being caught carrying a dangerously secured load. The logs that the lorry was carrying on the A9 were so badly secured that a serious road traffic accident could have been caused.

A building company and one of its directors have been fined £15,000 after leaving two customers at risk of death or serious illness from exposure to carbon monoxide fumes.

Vikas Patel's company, Rushi Construction (UK) Limited, was building an extension to a home in Buckinghamshire between September and December 2009. As part of the extension involved building around the flue outlet of a gas boiler, Mr Patel attempted to use piping usually used for sewage, along with a washing machine vent hose in order to carry the flue outlet across the new room and out via a window. The work was unsuccessful, resulting in potentially lethal carbon monoxide gases being released into the house.

A sheet metal manufacturing company and its director in Norwich have been fined a total of more than £30,000 after workers were exposed to high levels of lead.

Anglia Lead Ltd admitted failing to ensure the health and safety of its workers, breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The director of the company also admitted committing the same offence.

The boss of an Aberdeen plumbing company was recently acquitted following a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive. Steven Anderson faced the charges following a fatal accident at work of one of their apprentices, Michael Scott. The Health and Safety executive brought a prosecution against Mr Anderson for putting staff at risk of serious injury, a charge on which he was eventually acquitted.

A company has been fined following the death of a worker from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Alpha Group Security Ltd were fined £7000 at Hamilton Sheriff Court after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1), 2 and 33 (a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The 37-year-old security guard who died had been in a flat used as a base by the company on a construction site in Hamilton when he was overcome by fumes. A portable power generator had been used inside the property and had not been operated correctly; with no chance of ventilation a build up of carbon monoxide occurred. The security guard had not been given proper instructions on the generators use. The device should only have been used in a well-ventilated area.

A woman has sustained head injuries after building signage fell on top of her. The freak accident occurred outside the Reflex nightclub in Plymouth on a busy Saturday morning when the 30ft sign became detached from its mountings in high winds. The victim was quickly attended to by passers-by until medics arrived, and required stitches to her head. A spokesman commented that the sign was full of nails and the injury could have been much worse.  Fire crews worked to secure the remaining sign mountings on the front of the nightclub.

A company who make parts for the motor industry has been fined and prosecuted after a work place accident caused one of their employees to sustain personal injury.

The company had breached the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and the Health and Safety Regulations 1999 and these breaches had caused Allan Formoy, an employee, to sustain significant personal injury.

The Health and Safety Executive are going to carry out safety inspections on farms in the Borders, East Lothian, Fife, Perthshire, Angus and Stirlingshire.  The inspections will be unannounced in an attempt to cut the number of quad bike accidents.

A vehicle hire company was fined £5000 after a road traffic accident on one of their sites left an employee injured.  A mechanic at the company SHB Ltd was asked by his employers to repair a vehicle. To gain access to the vehicle the mechanic had to move a Ford Transit Tipper out of the way.  As the mechanic reversed the Ford Transit Tipper out of the way he hit one of his colleagues and caused him to sustain personal injuries.

This Thompsons client is a support worker employed by NHS Ayrshire and Arran. In the course of routine duties our client was unlucky enough to receive a needle stick injury to her left hand. It’s the type of injury that’s extremely distressing.

Claim Now