A 28-year-old woman has secured personal injury compensation after being badly burned while using a sun bed.
On her first visit to a tanning salon in Kent, the woman was instructed by a therapist to use the sun bed for ten minutes. The recommended period of safe usage was just five minutes.
As a result of overexposure to UV rays, the young mother suffered severe burns which left her unable to enjoy a holiday she had booked with her young son.
"I couldn't go in the pool with him and I couldn't stay in a seated position for any length of time", she told Kent and Sussex Courier, "I also couldn't drive for weeks."
Her injuries took over a month to heal during which time she experienced considerable pain and discomfort, and has been left with permanent scarring to her thighs and stomach.
The young woman pursued a beauty treatment compensation claim with Thompsons personal injury solicitors in England. The team successfully secured a settlement of £3,500 for the claimant.
Commenting on the case, Harriet Wheeler of Thompsons Solicitors said, "Employers have a responsibility to ensure their staff are adequately trained on the safe use of equipment. In this case they clearly failed."
Thompsons solicitors always recommend that consumers should thoroughly research any beauty salon before considering booking a treatment. Try to speak to other customers who have used the practitioners or ask the salon if they can show you some testimonials.