Health and Safety

It is becoming a common problem for tenants in rented properties to suffer from mould and dampness in the property with little done by their landlord to rectify the issue. Properties in the UK can be more susceptible to dampness and mould due to the colder climate, wet weather and age of property.

Woman holding a sparkler

On 5th November the skies across the country will be lit up by a series of bright and colourful firework displays. From Cartwheels to sparklers Fireworks night can be exciting for all the family. However, as fun and exciting as they are we must put safety at the forefront. Over 4,500 people visited Accident and Emergency last year in the UK as a result of a firework related injury and one third of parents and grandparents have witnessed an injury on Bonfire Night. Emergency services are pushed to the brink every year and this year Police Scotland have riot powers on standby.

News that the Government are taking steps to prevent the use of combustible cladding on buildings can only be welcomed in light of the horror of the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017.  However the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) have pointed out this does not go far enough. 

A child has died after being thrown from a bouncy castle that eyewitnesses say exploded on a Norfolk beach. Politicians have since called for a temporary ban on the giant inflatables as an investigation is launched into the three year old’s death. Robert Halfon, the Conservative MP for Harlow, Essex stated, “After two horrific tragedies, the Government need to look at updates of regulations and inspection regime and consider a temporary ban on large inflatables in public areas until we can be sure that they are safe. “ There is speculation the inflatable exploded as a result of the heat.

A Glasgow mother has issued a stark warning this week after her toddler suffered severe burns after spilling oven cleaner over his legs.  Two year old Aaron Cadder suffered third degree burns after he came into contact with the household product at his grandmother’s house.  He required to undergo surgery for skin grafts and will now be scarred for life.  He also suffered an allergic reaction to the substance which caused his face to become red and swollen, although luckily this was not burned by the cleaner.

Devastating fires are becoming ever more prevalent in our news stories and statistics show that fires in Scotland are on the rise. Between 2014 and 2015 there were 25,002 fires attended by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service resulting in 41 fatalities. During 2015 to 2016 there were 26,613 fires attended which resulted in 45 fatalities and 1,256 non-fatal fire casualties. During 2016 – 2017 there were 27,240 resulting in 44 fatalities and 1,189 non-fatal casualties. These figures show a staggering 9% increase in fires between 2014 and 2017.

A haulage company in Aberdeen, Colin Lawson Transport Ltd, has been fined £180,000 after admitting to breaches of health and safety legislation which lead to the death of one of their employees, Graham Forsyth, in 2016. Mr Forsyth was reported to have been sent to repair a lorry in the company’s yard. He was standing behind the vehicle, providing his colleague with directions when the vehicle shunted backward resulting in Mr Forsyth sustaining fatal injuries.

More than 300 properties at Glasgow Harbour have been found to be covered with Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) which was found to have caused the devastating blaze at Grenfell Tower in June 2017.

Claim Now