A housing association have been fined £70,000 after a guard was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning on a construction site in Hamilton. Thomas Fraser, 37, was found dead on 6 February 2008. He was killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator used to heat and light flats at the £2.2 million development. Mr Fraser was found feet away from the generator in a poorly-ventilated temporary office.
Clyde Valley Housing Association Ltd was fined £70,000 for breaching health and safety regulations. Alpha Group Security, who was subcontracted by the housing association, was fined £7,000, but further investigations regarding the security firm are still underway.
The hearing took place in Hamilton Sheriff Court. The housing associated pled guilty to breaching health and safety regulations, and admitted that it failed to ensure that Mr Fraser properly understood how to operate the generator. The Sheriff said the fine would have reached £100,000 if the association had pled not guilty.
CVHA chief executive Tom Barclay said: ‘Although Mr Fraser was not our employee, we deeply regret the role our actions may have placed in his untimely death. This incident has had a profound effect on our staff, who pride themselves on the work they do in ensuring communities prosper. The association would like to end its statement by reaffirming its profound sympathy to the family of Thomas Fraser.’