Hundreds of members of the public are to receive compensation payments after being burned by a defective batch of sofas. The sofas had been manufactured by the Chinese companies Linkwise and Eurosofa and were sold in Argos, Land of Leather and Walmsleys.
The sofas contained a substance called DMF. It was contained inside the sofas and was intended to act as an anti-mold device to stop them rotting during transit. Unfortunately, when people sat on one of the sofas, their body heat caused the substance to emit a toxic vapour. This vapour would burn human skin when it came into contact with it.
1,650 people claimed compensation after being injured in this way. Their claims were taken forward as a group claim, which became the largest ever in the UK. A compensation settlement was offered and agreed upon by the claimants. It was then approved by the court. The result of this is that the claimants will share a settlement of £20 million pounds between them, with individual payments being between £1,175 and £9,000 depending on how badly they were affected.